Postdoctoral position on the bottom-up reconstitution of the SARS-Cov-2 replication organelle
The Membrane Machines Laboratory, headed by Assist. Prof. Nicola De Franceschi at IMol PAS (Warsaw) is looking for a Postdoc candidate to work on the bottom-up reconstitution of the SARS-Cov-2 replication organelle.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Our new laboratory aims to reconstitute and characterize the mysterious molecular mechanisms that allow SARS-CoV-2 to remodel the host’s membranes by de-novo building an intracellular organelle known as the viral factory. This process entails both membrane remodelling to generate the double-membrane viral factory itself and embedding a proteinaceous pore in this double membrane. Such pore is a unique molecular machine able to transport viral RNA across two membranes. In this Postdoc project, the candidate will work on the purification, reconstitution and characterization of SARS-Cov-2 transmembrane proteins responsible for generating both viral factories and the double-membrane pore. Our lab puts a strong emphasis on method development, and this project will also entail developing new approaches to reconstitute transmembrane proteins and to work with double membrane systems, both of which are at the cutting edge of synthetic biology. The project is performed in collaboration with Prof. Antonella De Matteis (Tigem), a leading group on SARS-Cov-2 replication organelle.
- PhD degree in biochemistry/biophysics/structural biology or related disciplines.
- Highly motivated, with strong experimental skills.
- Good organizational and communication skills. Excellent writing skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team.
- Creative thinking to develop new approaches and methods.
- A 2-year contract, with the possibility of extension up to 5 years.
- Access to state-of-the-art laboratories and shared facilities.
- Access to collaborative and multidisciplinary International and European networks.
- Competitive salary (based on the Polish salary scales for postdocs).
- Vacation and maternity/paternity leave according to Polish law regulations.
How to apply
We are looking forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter describing your motivation and research experience
- Name and contact details of two references
To apply, please send an email to Nicola de Franceschi: n.defranceschi[at]imol.institute